Pre Loader

What to do if Diabetes is Part of Your Family

What to do if Diabetes is Part of Your Family

Diabetes is so common that it has become a part of our daily life. Almost every 7th person on this earth is affected with this dreaded disease. Therefore, it is not uncommon to find someone in our family affected with diabetes. Let us see what can we do to keep our affected dear ones healthy, free from complications and lead a productive life, alongwith preventing others in the family from becoming a diabetic.


Changes Required in Family


Diet: Diabetes is basically a lifestyle disease. Changes in our daily routine can help to modify the disease. Remember the so called diabetic diet is not something very special diet but a very healthy diet and if we incorporate such kind of diet in our daily routine we can always make our dear one remain healthy and also can prevent ourselves from becoming diabetic. So ultimately it benefits both. Recent data shows that if one of the spouse is diabetic it increases chances of developing diabetes in other partner also reflecting on the bad lifestyle habit of whole family.


Exercise: Second important thing required is regular exercise and believe me it just not possible for a common person to go for exercise with rest of family members sitting at home. It requires combined effort and hence if one person is diabetic it is always good to change lifestyle and start exercising as a whole family.


How to Prevent Diabetes in Other Family Members:


If one person in family is having diabetes there is always more chances of developing diabetes in other members of the family.

It involves preventing getting obese by incorporating good dietary habits, regular exercising.

Anyone in family with history of diabetes should get there blood glucose checked at least yearly after the age of 40 and if having very hectic lifestyle than after the age of 30. These involve testing your blood glucose fasting as well as postprandial and also getting your HbA1c checked. If you find any report abnormal, consult your endocrinologist.


No comments yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.